Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Dreaming of Pollock

For the last three years I have had the idea in my head about crocheting an afghan inspired by one of Jackson Pollock's drip painting pieces.  I had planned on make tons of little granny motifs and try to make the afghan look something like my favorite piece, Autumn Rhythm (Number 30).


This week I have finally come up with a better plan for crocheting this afghan.  Pretty bad I am planning next year's state fair project now while in the middle of making all of this years items.  But this has been bouncing around in my head for years and I guess it just will not go away.  LOL

The thought of making over 600 small granny motifs and then sewing them all together was sounding less and less appealing.  So a new idea came to me while driving to work, my best planning mode lately.  My plan is to single crochet a base and them make random lengths of chain and attach them to the base to try to mimic the painting.  



Pollock's pieces are very large, have never seen one yet, so I am going to try to make the afghan have the same presence.  I am estimating the afghan will be four to five feet wide by ten to twelve feet long.  Will have to measure my open space up in the bonus room to see if I will be able to lay this thing down on the floor to sew on the chains.  

Since this is going to be such a big project, the afghan will be the only item I crochet for the 2013 NC State Fair.  I am guessing the base will take me a couple of months to complete.  Not sure if I will be doing it in sections then sewing them together.  Will have to do a smaller test version to see how bad the seams will be.  

This project has to stay on the back burner but at least I have it written down now so hopefully I will stop dreaming about making this thing now!  

Hooks and Needles Salute to you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed